Jug Prairie Cemetery Association Brooklyn Wi
President: Frank Wise phone 608-438-5860
Vice President: Kay Zurfluh 608-455-2673
Secretary: Queenie Arndt
Treasurer: Georgiann Mcdonald
Trustee: Laura Hall
Trustee: Dick Dallman
Trustee: Sharon George
Looking back at the history of Jug Prairie Cemetery, in the town of Brooklyn, is interesting and should be known. Most of its early occupants came from Ohio, looking for better land and starting anew. In the breaking years of statehood, there were hardships and sickness but they were proud of their accomplishments and found happiness in their lives. When a family member or friend died, they buried them on their own land.
As they became more civilized in their community, there was a longing for a place where their loved ones could be with others. A committee from “the Prairie” created a cemetery association, originally registered as the “Brooklyn Cemetery” Forty acres was purchased from the state of Wisconsin in 1853 and four years later, they sold thirty-six and a half acre, keeping three and a half for the cemetery grounds. This property became known as “Jug Prairie,” the same as the nearby school.
Jug Prairie Cemetery is the resting place for many of our Americans veterans who’ve served in many wars dating back to 1812. The cemetery holds many family members, friends, and neighbors of people all around the area.
Click here for Plot Owner by Location
Click here for New Plot North South